MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR AUGUST 7 to 9, 2020!
IT’S SALES TAX-FREE SHOPPING WEEKEND 2020 IN THE CHARLOTTE REGION!
If you live in the Charlotte metro area, you can take advantage of South Carolina’s sales tax holiday this weekend starting Friday, August 7th through Sunday, August 9th.
North Carolina eliminated its sales tax holiday shopping weekend in 2013, so if you want to shop for back-to-school items tax-free, you’ll need to head across the state border to York or Lancaster Counties in South Carolina. However, the trip may just be worth it to save 6% state sales tax and any other local taxes when you buy school supplies and clothing for the coming school year.
South Carolina has been offering a Tax Free Shopping Weekend since 2000 and shoppers are expected to save an estimated $2-3 million on qualifying items. In 2019, South Carolina shoppers purchased more than $21.7 million in tax-free items during the Sales Tax Holiday.
And this year, you can save the 6% sales tax for on-line purchases, too! Tax-free items can be new or used and are eligible regardless of price.
WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN’T BUY TAX-FREE IN SOUTH CAROLINA
Tax-free items include purchases of:
- Accessories (such as bedspreads and linens.)
- School supplies (such as book bags.)
- Computer equipment (such as printers.)
Tax-free items do not include purchases of:
- Items placed on layaway
FOR A COMPREHENSIVE LIST OF WHAT IS AND ISN’T ELIGIBLE FOR TAX FREE PURCHASES, CLICK HERE
Tips To Make The Most Of Your Tax-Free Weekend Shopping
1. Take some time to research what is tax free.
2. Don’t assume only back-to-school items are tax free.
3. Get organized before the weekend. Take an inventory of what you have on hand and what you need. Make a list of what you want and need to buy.
4. Make sure the tax free savings outweigh savings from other types of coupons. And don’t forget that many coupons can be combined with tax free savings.
5. Watch the register closely to be sure you are getting the tax savings you are entitled to. Verify on your receipt that you did not pay sales tax after the purchase.
6. Know your prices and be sure something really is a deal. Don’t buy something just because it is tax-free.
Tax Free Shopping Bag Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
This information about Tax-Free Shopping in the Charlotte, NC region is provided by Nina Hollander and Carolinas Realty Partners, Coldwell Banker, your Charlotte metro area residential real estate experts. We’ve been opening doors for Charlotte region home buyers and sellers for 20+ years.
SEARCH ALL CHARLOTTE, NC REGION HOMES FOR SALE
FIND OUT WHAT YOUR CHARLOTTE, NC REGION HOME IS WORTH
If you’re considering selling or purchasing a home in the Charlotte metro area, I’d love an opportunity to earn your business, to exceed your expectations, and to show you how:
“The Right Broker Makes All The Difference.”